Mine engineering degree courses at undergrad bachelor, postgrad master, PhD doctorate research degree level at Australian universities are listed below.
- What does a Mining Engineer do ?
- Where can I study Mines Engineering ?
- Besides ATAR, what are the prerequisite Year 12 HSC subjects ?
- Australia is home to BHP Billiton & Rio Tinto, 2 of the biggest and famous mining and mineral resources processing and exploration companies
- Rare earth metals are commonly found in modern Consumer Electronic like Plasma screens iPods, iPhones LCD screens etc
- Australia is a major producer of Iron ore, Coal, Copper, bauxite/aluminium, Gold, Silver, diamond, Opals lead, Nickel and Uranium ( Yellow Cake), Petroleum and Natural gas. China’s growing demand for minerals continues to fuel mining activity in Australia. A Mining Engineering degree prepares grads for a employment in the minerals processing and mining industry in Australia.
- Rare Earth metal mining in Australia is expected to rise in activity due to China’s tightening of it’s exports. At the moment China is responsible for more than 95 % of the global supply of rare earth metals.
- Most mining jobs typically require you ( regardless if you are a mining or an electrical or civil engineer working at a mine ) to be based at a remote mine site devoid of usual urban facilities. Typical work schedule is work 2 weeks on, 1 weeks off etc aka FIFO. Apart from the glamour of big bucks associated with mining, please be aware of these working condition, perhaps speak to a few people who have actually worked in such mines, before deciding to take a degree in this area, and finding out 4 years later you hate it !
Typical admission requirements :
- Physics, Mathematics, English proficiency
New South Wales : NSW
- Mining Engineering courses at University of New South Wales : UNSW
- University of Wollongong : UOW – Civil, Mining and Environmental
- Mining Engineering degree at University of Newcastle
Victoria : VIC
- Bachelor of Mining @ Ballarat University ( Federation University Australia )
Western Australia : WA
- Mining Eng at University of Western Australia : UWA – Perth
- Western Australian School of Mines at Mining at Curtin University of Technology
South Australia: SA
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mining) B.E(Mine) at University of Adelaide
Queensland : QLD
- Mines Engineering at University of Queensland