Biomedical Engineering courses at undergrad bachelor, post grad, master, PhD doctorate research level in Australia are listed below.
Bio-med Engineering is a combination of Human biology, Electronic Engineering, Mechanical & Medical Engineering. Biomedical applications are found in development of devices and instruments for use in the diagnosis, monitoring and therapy areas of medicine. Some biomed products are implanted in the human body such as heart pacemakers, hearing aids and other nervous stimulation devices, as well as external apparatus used for monitoring biological function such as ECG, EEG. As well X-Rays, MRI ( Magnetic Resonance Imaging) may be considered as related topics within Biomedical science. Mechanical applications include developing prosthetic limbs. Other examples include replacement heart valves, hip and knee joint implants, silicone gel-filled breast implants, implanted cerebellar simulators implantable pacemaker pulse generators and endosseous (intra-bone) implants. For other non- BioMed subject areas, click here.
Graduates of Bio Medical engineering typically work in Research & Development organisations such as Cochlear, ResMed, CSIRO. Take note that whilst BioMed may have the perception of glitz and glamour, there are fewer jobs in Biomedical engineering than say Civil Engineering or Mining Engineering within the Australian economy. As well, it is typical that a further Master or PHD degree is necessary before one can find meaningful employment in the Biomedical engineering field.
To qualify as a biomedical engineer you typically need to acquire an engineering degree with a major in biomedical studies/technology. Some universities offer degrees in engineering with a major in biomedical studies/technology.
Typical admission requirements for BioMed Engineering :
- Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and English proficiency
Universities offering Biomedical Engineering :
New South Wales : NSW
- Biomedical Engineering at Uni of Sydney
- Graduate School of Biomedical Engineering : UNSW
- The Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Technology, USyd
Victoria : VIC
- Bach of Engineering – Biomedical Engineering : Swinburne Uni of Technology
- Biomedical Engineering: La Trobe Univ
South Australia : SA
- Bachelor of Engineering (Biomedical) at: Flinders university
- Master of Engineering (Biomedical) at: Flinders university
Queensland : QLD
- Electrical and Biomedical Engineering : The University of Queensland
- Sport and Biomedical Engineering Griffith university
More non- BioMed subject areas, click here.