Why study Computer Games courses ?
- They prepare candidates with a background in computer science knowledge
- Learn techniques and access resources to develop web based and mobile games that incorporate flashy graphics and slick animation
- Students learn the basics of architecture and design elements of computer games and programming languages and models relevant to game development
Games development is driven by teams who combine skills of creative content staff and software engineers who have the technical skills to implement designs. There is a demand for skilled specialist programmers who are comfortable working in development teams and you will be well placed to fulfill these roles upon graduation.
– More background information found here.
Games design and development courses are offered at undergraduate bachelor, postgraduate diploma master degree level at universities in Australia as listed below.
- Where can one study to be a qualified Computer Games designer ?
- A BSc bachelor university degree in Computer & Video Games development offers excellent career opportunities in the growing global Computer games industry.
- Besides ATAR, what are the prerequisite subjects at Year 12 HSC ?
- Australia offers among the best places to study Computer Interactive Technologies and Computer Games Design
Games developers and designers, video game developers are software programmers who create video or computer based games which require digital animation and /or CGI. Developers tend to specialize in a specific game platforms specific to video game providers, such as
- Microsoft Xbox
- PSP PS3, XBOX360, PS4, XBOXOne
- Mobile phone apps
- Sony’s PlayStation
- Nintendo DS, Wii
- Many video game publishers run development studios such as Electronic Arts EA Canada, Activision’s Radical Entertainment, Nintendo EAD and Sony Polyphony.
- They prepare digital graphics, animation, sound effects, video and photos
- Games programmers draw up game rules, scenarios using charts and documentation that outline a particular games’ concept.
- Investigate further about Computer Games programming at what’s this subject about. If you are more keen on Animation design than Games design, have a look at Animation degrees at Australian universities.
The various roles in a Game development company are:
- Multimedia developer
- Games programmer – writes code typically in C++ or customise game engines
- Digital Video Sound Editor
- Product Director
- Technical Artist / 3D artist
New South Wales : NSW
- Game development @ Univ of Technology, Sydney: UTS
- Games Technology courses at Charles Sturt Uni : CSU
- Bachelor of Information Technology – Games Design & Development at Macquarie university
Queensland : QLD
- Interactive Technologies & Games Design at James Cook University : JCU
- Bachelor of Games & Interactive Entertainment: Queensland Univ of Technology: QUT
- Games design degree at Griffith University
- Computer Games development courses at Bond University
- University of the Sunshine Coast: USC
- Computer Games programming: University Southern Queensland: USQ
Victoria : VIC
- Bachelor of Creative Arts (Animation & Motion Capture) at Deakin Uni
- Bachelor of Information Technology (Computer Games) University of Ballarat
- Games Graphic design at Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology : RMIT
- Bach of IT (Games Design and Development) at Deakin Univ
- Games Technology at La Trobe University