According to Mcrindle Research, Psychology is the most overrated degree in Australia. Inspite of low employment rates and unattractive starting salaries, many naive young people are unaware that the median starting salary is $47.5 K and only 63% of grads stay as full-time employees working in this field. More here. $47.5K is only $5,000 more than the $42K earned by the average factory worker. More here. If you wish to study Psych, do so for personal enrichment, but not with the mistakened assumption of bright employment prospects such as in IT or Nursing. More non-Psychology subject areas here.
Psych degree courses at undergraduate bachelor, postgraduate master, Ph.D doctorate research degree levels at Australian universities are listed below.
- Besides ATAR what are the prerequisite subjects at Year 12 HSC ?
- What is the best undergraduate or post graduate Psychology degree course ?
- Students of Psychology analyze and try to understand the intricate operations of the human mind, how it thinks and reasons for behavior ie. motivation.
- Where can I study Psychology to be a Psychologist or Counsellor?
- Various models and analytical methods are used to investigate cognitive, perception and memory processes of the human mind.
- Psychologists attempt to find the best method to deal with mental illness, emotional disorders (different from mental illness), group behavior as well as coping with emotional difficulties, motivation and self esteem. Understanding psychology helps optimizes human life potential and overcome difficulties. Animal psychology is termed as Animal Behavioral studies.
- Psychologists are typically graduates with a 3 or 4 year degree and perhaps with an additional Master or Ph.D degree and cannot prescribe drugs unless they posses a medical degree.
- A Psych degree is often needed for employment as a professional Psychologist or Counsellor in Defence Forces, School, Government Community services
- Psychiatrists (aka a shrinks) are medically trained physicians who acquire additional qualifications in Psychology as a further degree and is permitted by law to prescribe psychiatric medications / drugs such as anti depressants.
- Typically Psych degrees may lead to employment opportunities such as Psychologist and counselling in the mental health field
- Information about bachelor, master, doctorate (Ph.D) postgraduate, graduate diploma degree programs are available at faculty webpages below:
New South Wales : NSW
- Psych degree at Charles Sturt University : CSU
- School of Psych at University of New South Wales : UNSW
- Bachelor of Psychology from University of New England :UNE
- Psychology studies at Univ of Newcastle
- Bach of Psychology at University of Western Sydney : UWS
- Study Psychology at University of Sydney
- Psychology courses at Macquarie University
- Psychology courses at University of Wollongong : UOW
- Bachelor of Psychological Science from Southern Cross University : SCU
Victoria : VIC
- Social Sciences and Psychology courses at Victoria University
- Psychology, Psychological Science at University of Ballarat
- Psychological Sciences at University of Melbourne
- Psych courses at Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology : RMIT
- Psychology at Swinburne University of Technology
- Psychological Science courses at La Trobe University
- Study Psychology at Deakin University
- School of Psychology and Psychiatry at Monash University
Queensland : QLD
- Bachelor, Master, Clinical, Forensic Psychology at Bond University
- Psychology, Social Work and Community services at Central Queensland University : CQU
- Human Factors & Applied Cognitive Psychology at University of Queensland: UQ
- Psychology at James Cook University : JCU
- Psychology at Griffith University
- Psych at University of Southern Queensland: USQ
- Psychology and Counseling at Queensland University of Technology : QUT
- Psychology course at University of the Sunshine Coast: USC
Western Australia : WA
- Psychology and social science at Edith Cowan University : ECU
- Psychology courses at Murdoch University
- School of Psychology and Speech Pathology at Curtin University of Technology
- Psychology degree at University of Western Australia : UWA
Tasmania : TAS
- School of Psychology at University of Tasmania : UTAS
South Australia : SA
- School of Psychology at Flinders University
- Psychology degrees at University of Adelaide
- Psychology, Social Work and Social Policy at University of South Australia
Northern Territory: NT
- Bachelor of Behavioural Science at Charles Darwin University : CDU
- Psychology courses at Australian Catholic University : ACU
- Behavioral Science degree at University of Notre Dame Australia
Australian Capital Territory : ACT
- Psychology at Australian National University : ANU
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology at University of Canberra
More non-Psychology subject areas here.