Information Systems or IT undergraduate bachelor, master, PhD degree courses at Australian universities are listed below.
Beware! School career counsellors often do not know how to explain what ICT professionals do for a living.
It’s been estimated our country needs an extra 100,000 information and communications technology workers in next 4 years !
To other non-Computer subject areas, click here :
- Besides ATAR, what are the prerequisite subjects at Year 12 HSC ?
- A degree in Information Technology (IT) or Information Systems prepares students for job opportunities in the lucrative computer industry.
- With an IT degree, you could work as a Applications Programmer, software developer, Software Engineer, Technical Support, IT Architect, Networking specialist, Database administrator, Systems Analyst, Business Analyst, Unix / Windows Systems Administrator or Test Analyst. Aussie unis offer some of the best places to study at.
- IT is an umbrella term for studies in Computer Science, Software Development, Computing, Informatics, Programming, Coding, Computer Network technologies, Knowledge Management and Artificial Intelligence, etc.
- Click on an Australian Universities listed below, visit faculty pages, check out courses available:
What’s the difference between …… ?
– focus is more on programming and software development at Software Application level. Choose this if you wish to be a analyst programmer or software developer. Programmers will need to learn at least one of the following languages: C , C++, C#, Visual Basic Visual C++, Java, PERL, Python, ColdFusion, PowerBuilder, Ruby, PL/1 (old), Cobol (old) and work in ASP, ASP.Net, .Net, J2EE, Cloud computing environments. Programmers may work in Online /Web / Internet environment in which case, their job title will often be Web Developer/ Internet Programmer. Alternatively, developers may work in non internet environments such as developing Client Server systems, Main Frame systems etc. Data Mining, Business Intelligence, Big Data, Data Science are new growth areas of Mathematics & Statistical applications within the IT industry and related employment is projected to rise in demand.
– focus is less on programming (coding), more on databases, information management, business analysis, IT project management. Choose this if you don’t want to be a programmer, but wish to work as a Business Analyst, Project Manager, Database Administrator, Network Manager, Systems Administrator …. these may require further shorts courses / certifications …
– focus is on coding, programming and software development at Operating Systems / infrastructure level, less at application level. Many Software Engineers work with Unix/ Linux some work with Windows. However as Programming skill ( C/ C++/ C# Java, PERL, PYTHON ) is same as for Computer Science, graduates of Computer Science and Software Engineering can often move between these 2 roles types.
– focus is more on designing computer architecture, less on programming applications or topics covered in Information Systems degree. However, A Computer Engineering degree will also arm you with skills to work as a Developer/ Analyst Programmer if you wish to switch.
Web Design course
New South Wales : NSW
- Information and comcommunication technology – Informatics at University of Wollongong : UOW
- University of Technology, Sydney : UTS
- Charles Sturt University: Bachelor of Computer Science CSU
- University of Western Sydney : UWS
- University of New England : UNE – Bachelor of Computer Science
- Faculty of Science and Information Technology : University of Newcastle
- University of New South Wales : UNSW
- Macquarie University – Department of Computing
- University of Sydney – School of Information Technology
Victoria : VIC
- Computing and Information Systems at University of Melbourne
- Faculty of Information & Communication Technology: Swinburne University of Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology at University of Ballarat
- Bachelor of Business Information Systems etc at Monash University
- Department of Computer Science and Computer Engineering : La Trobe University
- Deakin University – School of IT
Queensland : QLD
- IT at Bond University
- Engineering and Information Technology: Griffith University
- School of Information Technology & Electrical Engineering: University of Queensland : UQ
- James Cook University : JCU
- University of Southern Queensland: USQ
- Queensland University of Technology : QUT – Bach of Engineering (Computer & Software Systems), Games & Interactive Entertainment
- University of the Sunshine Coast: USC
Western Australia : WA
- Edith Cowan University: ECU
- School of Engineering and Information Technology: Murdoch University
- Department of Computing: Curtin University of Technology
- School of Computer Science and Software Engineering: University of Western Australia : UWA
Universities in Tasmania offering IT degrees :
- Faculty of Science, Engineering & Technology: University of Tasmania : UTAS
South Australia : SA
- School of Computer Science, Engineering and Mathematics: Flinders University
- Faculty of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences: University of Adelaide
- IT, Engineering and the Environment : University of South Australia : UNISA
Northern Territory : NT
- School of Engineering and Information Technology : Charles Darwin University : CDU
Australian Capital Territory : ACT
- Australian National University : ANU : Research School of Computer Science
- Faculty of Education, Science, Technology and Mathematics: University of Canberra
List of other universities in offering IT degrees : Australia wide
- Informatics and Business Systems at Australian Catholic University : ACU
- IT at Open Universities – Distance learning education online programs and courses